If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it? — Albert Einstein
- Matching and Prices (with Ravi Jagadeesan), 2021
- Dynamic placement in refugee resettlement (with Narges Ahani, Paul Gölz, Ariel D. Procaccia, and Andrew C. Trapp), revise and resubmit, 2021
- EPIC fail: How below-bid pricing backfires in multiunit auctions (with Sanna Laksa and Daniel Marszalec), invited to resubmit, 2020.
- Matching mechanisms for refugee resettlement (with David Delacretaz and Scott Duke Kominers), revise and resubmit, 2020.
- Coverage: Financial Times.
- Older version: Refugee resettlement
- An adaptive targeted field experiment: Job search assistance for refugees in Jordan (with Stefano Caria, Simon Quinn, Max Kasy, Grant Gordon, and Soha Osman), revise and resubmit, 2021.
- RCT pre-registration: AEA RCT Registry.
- Demand Types, Income Effects, and Equilibrium (with Elizabeth Baldwin, Omer Edhan, Ravi Jagadeesan, and Paul Klemperer), revise and resubmit, 2021.
- On Consumer Theory with Indivisible Goods (with Elizabeth Baldwin, Ravi Jagadeesan, and Paul Klemperer), 2021.
- Contagion in graphons (with Selman Erol and Francesca Parise)
- Trading networks with bilateral contracts (with Tamas Fleiner, Zsuzsanna Janko, and Akihisa Tamura), 2018.
- A simple model of cascades in networks (with Yongwhan Lim and Asuman Ozdaglar, 2016.
Selected published and forthcoming papers
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better. — Samuel Beckett
- The Equilibrium Existence Duality (with Elizabeth Baldwin, Ravi Jagadeesan, and Paul Klemperer), accepted at the Journal of Political Economy, 2022.
- Complexity of stability in trading networks (with Tamas Fleiner, Zsuzsanna Janko, and Ildiko Schlotter), accepted at the International Journal of Game Theory, 2022.
- Macroscopic properties of buyer-seller networks in online marketplaces (with Alberto Bracci, Jörn Boehnke, Abeer ElBahrawy, Nicola Perra, Andrea Baronchelli), accepted at the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences Nexus.
- Matching with Semi-Bandits (with Max Kasy), Econometrics Journal, 2022.
- Placement optimization in refugee resettlement (with Narges Ahani, Tommy Andersson, Alessandro Martinello, and Andrew C. Trapp), Operations Research, 69(5): 1468-1486, 2021.
- Check out our Refugees.AI project.
- Coverage: The Atlantic; Financial Times.
- Annie® MOORE was runner-up in the 2020 Vice-Chancellor’s Innovation Awards (Policy Engagement category).
- Stability in matching markets with complex constraints (with Hai Nguyen and Thanh Nguyen), Management Science, 67(12): 7291-7950, 2021.
- Economic complexity and the green economy (with Penny Mealy), Research Policy, 2020.
- See our interactive Green Transitions Navigator for more analysis.
- Trading networks with frictions (with Tamas Fleiner, Ravi Jagadeesan, and Zsuzsanna Janko), Econometrica, 87(5): 1633-1661, 2019.
- Targeted carbon tax reforms (with Maia King and Bassel Tarbush), European Economic Review, 119: 526-547, 2019.
- Interpreting economic complexity (with Penny Mealy and J. Doyne Farmer), Science Advances, 5(1):eaau1705, 2019.
- Social groups and social network formation (with Bassel Tarbush), Games and Economic Behavior, 103: 286-312, 2017.
- Gross substitutes and complements: A simple generalization, Economics Letters, 123(2): 135-138, 2014.
Full-length peer-reviewed conference papers
- Matching markets with contracts for electric vehicle smart charging (with Thomas Morstyn and Malcolm McCullogh), IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting, 2018. (One of Best Papers on Power System Planning, Operation, and Electricity Markets).
- Competitive rumour spread in social networks (with Yongwhan Lim and Asuman Ozdaglar), ACM SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review, 44(3): 7-14, 2016.
- Homophily in online social networks (with Bassel Tarbush), WINE’12, Conference on Web and Internet Economics, 2012.
Publications in other disciplines
- Emergence and structure of decentralised trade networks around dark web marketplaces (with Matthieu Nadini, Alberto Bracci, Abeer ElBahrawy, Philip Gradwell, and Andrea Baronchelli), Nature Scientific Reports, 12:5425, 2022.
- Dark web marketplaces and COVID-19: before the vaccine (with Alberto Bracci, Matthieu Nadini, Maxwell Aliapoulios, Damon McCoy, Ian Gray, Angela Gallo, and Andrea Baronchelli), European Physical Journal: Data Science, 10(6), 2021.
- Check out our DarkMarkets.Live project.
- Coverage: Daily Mail.
- Collective dynamics of dark web marketplaces (with Abeer ElBahrawy, Laura Alessandretti, Leonid Rusnac, Daniel Goldsmith, and Andrea Baronchelli), Nature Scientific Reports, 10:18827, 2020.
- Check out our DarkMarkets.Live project.
- Integrating P2P energy trading with probabilistic distribution locational marginal pricing (with Thomas Morstyn, Cameron Hepburn, and Malcolm McCullogh), IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 11(4): 3095-3106, 2020.
- Designing decentralized markets for distribution system flexibility (with Thomas Morstyn and Malcolm McCullogh), IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 34(3): 2128-2139, 2019.
- Bilateral contract networks for peer-to-peer energy trading (with Thomas Morstyn and Malcolm McCullogh), IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 10(2):2026-2035, 2019.
- The Local Refugee Match: Aligning refugees’ preferences with the capacities and priorities of localities (with Will Jones), Journal of Refugee Studies, 2017.
- Coverage: Financial Times; Washington Post.
- Matching systems for refugees (with Will Jones), Journal of Migration and Human Security, 5(3): 666-680, 2017.
- The International Refugee Match: A system that respects refugees’ preferences and the priorities of states (with Will Jones), Refugees Survey Quarterly, 36(2): 84–109, 2017.
- Coverage: New York Times.
- Choices, preferences and priorities in a matching system for refugees (with Will Jones), Forced Migration Review, 51: 80-82, 2016.
Reviews, book chapters, and permanent working papers
- Central bank digital currencies risk becoming a digital Leviathan (with Andrea Baronchelli and Hanna Halaburda), Nature Human Behaviour, 6: 907–909, 2022.
- Discovering auctions: Contributions of Paul Milgrom and Robert Wilson (with Shengwu Li ⓡ Scott Duke Kominers ⓡ Mohammad Akbarpour ⓡ Piotr Dworczak), Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 123(3): 709–750.
- The parable of the auctioneer: Complexity in Paul R. Milgrom’s Discovering Prices (with Scott Duke Kominers), Journal of Economic Literature, 58(4), 2020.
- Adaptive targeted infectious disease testing (with Max Kasy), Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 36(S1): S77–S93, 2020.
- Economics Observatory article about testing capacity allocation with Andrea Galeotti and Max Kasy.
- Is natural capital really substitutable? (with François Cohen and Cameron Hepburn), Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 44(1): 425-448, 2019.
- TL;DR: No.
- Networks and economic policy (with Matt Elliott and Sanjeev Goyal), Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 35(4): 565–585, 2019.
- Steering the climate system: an extended comment (with Linus Mattauch, Richard Millar, Frederick van der Ploeg, Armon Rezai, Anselm Schultes, Frank Venmans et al.), Centre for Climate Change Economics and Policy Working Paper No. 347 and Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Working Paper No. 315, 2019.
- Natural capital market design, Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 35(1): 138-161, 2019.
- Green growth (with Cameron Hepburn and Alex Pfeiffer), The New Oxford Handbook of Economic Geography (edited by Gordon L. Clark, Maryann P. Feldman, Meric S. Gertler, and Dariusz Wójcik), Chapter 40, 2018.
- An invitation to market design (with Scott Duke Kominers and Vincent P. Crawford), Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 33(4): 541-571, 2017.
- Climate change policy after Brexit (with Cameron Hepburn), Oxford Review of Economic Policy, 33(S1): S144–S154, 2017.
- Reforming the EU ETS – Where are we now? (with Cameron Hepburn), Energy Tax and Regulatory Policy in Europe: Reform Priorities (edited by Ian Parry, Karen Pittel, and Herman Vollebergh), Chapter 1, The MIT Press, 2017.
- The third wave in the economics of climate change (with J. Doyne Farmer, Cameron Hepburn and Penny Mealy), Environment and Resource Economics, 62(2): 1-29, 2015.
- Innovation, path dependence and climate policy (with Philippe Aghion, Cameron Hepburn and Dimitri Zenghelis), Centre for Climate Change Economics and Policy Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment Policy Paper, 2014.
- Resilient and inclusive prosperity within planetary boundaries (with Eric Beinhocker, J. Doyne Farmer and Cameron Hepburn), China & World Economy, 22(5): 1-16, 2014.
- Political economy of climate change policy (with Franklin Steves), Smith School for Enterprise and the Environment Working Paper 13-02, 2013.
- Part II: Policy instruments for sustainable road transport (with Georgina Santos and Hannah Behrendt), Research in Transportation Economics, 28(1): 46-91, 2010.
- Part I: Externalities and economic policies in road transport (with Georgina Santos, Hannah Behrendt, Laura Maconi and Tara Shirvani), Research in Transportation Economics, 28(1): 2-45, 2010.
Edited book in progress
- Fair by Design: Economic Design Approaches to Inequality (with Scott Duke Kominers), Oxford University Press (based on HCEO Market Design Perspectives on Inequality conference)
- The Wealth of Nature: Increasing National Wealth and Reducing Risk by Measuring and Managing Natural Capital (with Francois Cohen, Kirk Hamilton, Cameron Hepburn, and Frank Sperling), Report for the Green Economy Coalition, 2017.
- Special Report on Climate Change: The Low Carbon Transition, Chapter 4 (with Franklin Steves and Daniel Treisman), Report for the EBRD, June 2011.
- Life in Transition: After the Crisis (with Franklin Steves), Chapter 4, Report for the EBRD, April 2011.
<a rel=”me” href=”https://econtwitter.net/@t8el”>Mastodon</a>